Sunday, January 13, 2013

Drugstore Concealer & Foundation Review

Hey ladies!

Though quite (no, very) late.. I'm saying it anyways: Happy New Year!!! It's already been 13 days into the new year.. did anyone break their New Years resolutions yet?! Haha -- if you did, don't be too disheartened. Keep in mind that when we set resolutions, we strive for perfection.. which is humanly impossible! Just don't totally fall off the wagon, if you know what I mean ;)

In any case.. I just wanted to quickly share my daily concealer/foundation routine.

FYI, I'm very low maintenance when it comes to makeup.. especially because I don't have much time to spare in the mornings.

I only wear minimal concealer/powder/foundation, eyeliner, and mascara.. but in no way does this imply that I don't need full makeup! I would love to do a more completed look, but I just don't have time, you know? (I lie.. I do have time, but I'd rather spend it sleeping in a bit more haha!)

But for now, I'm content with my current concealer/foundation routine. It's enough to conceal my stubborn dark circles (thanks, mom!) and mute the shine on my oily skin.

Oh, by the way, these are all drugstore products. WOOT WOOT for affordable makeup!


 Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Treatment Concealer in Brightener (60) and Neutralizer (50)

It's really quite simple. I use these two shades to effectively conceal my dark purple under eye circles (thanks to 8 am calculus class and, of course, genetics). I begin with a light-handed dab of the brightener, which I blend with either my ring finger or a concealer brush. This is followed by the neutralizer, which blends into my light/medium yellow-toned skin quite well. If I put an excess of the neutralizer I'd just pull it down my cheeks, which is fine when blended out evenly. In fact, I'd recommend you do this as it is quite effective in covering enlarged pores!


Here, I'm showing you the relative size of the concealer bottle. It contains 6.0 mL of product, which is quite typical for drugstore concealers. I paid $6.00+ for each on Amazon Prime (while it's close to $10.00 in my local drugstore). Online shopping RULES!

The Age Rewind concealers are great as they don't settle into fine lines! This is very important for the under eye area. There have been complaints about the "non-sanitary" sponge-tip applicator, but in all honesty I don't have a problem with it since I know I'm using the product only with clean hands and/or face.



 CoverGirl Clean Pressed Powder Compact in Buff Beige (525) and Aquasmooth in Buff Beige (725)

I don't know what's up with the numbering.. but either way I'm in the shade Buff Beige for both products during the winter, while I'm a shade or two darker during the summer. Unlike the concealers, I had to purchase the powder/foundations in store just in case I bought them in the wrong shade (most drugstores have wonderfully lenient policies for cosmetic returns, but I found RiteAid to be the easiest to return to and/or exchange).



When open, the shade of the pressed powder vs. the aquasmooth is ALARMINGLY different. As is, the pressed powder looks a little too light for my skin while the aquasmooth looks way way wayyy too dark! But don't be fooled as the powder does oxidize to a certain extent.. and the aquasmooth is just deceivingly dark in the pan. When applied, they indeed are the same shade (the aquasmooth Buff Beige does have a slight gray overcast.. but I don't mind it too much since I set it with the powder).

I do have sensitive, oily skin and both products work beautifully on me! There's not much to say about the aquasmooth foundation as many beauty gurus and amateurs alike have already raved about the product! The pressed powder works great in the oil-control department.

Like I said, I'm very low maintenance.. so I don't like doing touch ups.

I wear a primer underneath it all (refer back to my skincare routine post to see which primer I use!) so I don't really need to do touch ups. When my t-zone gets a bit oily throughout the day, I just blot with oil sheets.


And there you have it -- my easy breezy concealer/foundation routine! Take note, I don't wear the aquasmooth everyday (and especially not for nights out since it contains titanium dioxide, which gives the white "moonface" cast for flash photography). All in all, this routine takes me 3 minutes TOPS. I use the next 2 minutes or less to sweep on eyeliner and mascara. How easy is that?!

Hope you enjoyed the post and found it informative. Good luck to you and all your beauty endeavors!

Stay warm and beautiful <3
xoxo Karries

No comments:

Post a Comment